The divorce process is stressful, costly and highly personal. Therefore, it is crucial that you hire the right attorney to help you. When considering what attorney to hire you should consider the following:
- Does the attorney care about your case? Your attorney should appreciate that the outcome of your case is going to make a difference, for better, or worse, in your life, and the lives of those you love.
- Is the attorney willing to tell you things that you do not want to hear? Some attorneys will only tell a potential client what they want to hear. They do this because they do not want potential business walking out the door. The problem is with hiring an attorney who is not willing to give you bad news is that it can result in thousands of dollars being spent fighting an unwinnable battle.
- Are you able to communicate effectively with the attorney? Divorces are stressful. Therefore, it is crucial that you feel comfortable with and are able to communicate effectively with.
- Is the attorney you are meeting with the attorney you will be working with? Confirm that the attorney you meet with is the attorney who will be representing you.
- What do they charge? Remember you get what you pay for and what you are fighting for is important. Underpriced attorneys will not give your case the level of attention, detail and service that you need. Family law attorneys typically charge between $250.00 and $350.00 per hour.
- How much experience does the attorney that will be working on your case have in family law? It is important that you hire an attorney who has substantial experience in family law. The fact that the attorney has practiced law for a long time does not necessarily mean they are a good family law attorney. It is difficult for an attorney to be highly effective in more than one area of law. You best bet is to find an attorney that practices exclusively in the area of family law.
If you have questions regarding divorce, the family law team at HoganWillig is available to help you through the process. Call us at 636-7600.