It’s summertime and the real estate market is in full swing. Are you getting the moving bug? When it’s time to make the big move, will you be ready? Read these 10 Summer Moving Tips to make sure you’re prepared.
- Decide whether or not your move is manageable to do yourself with a few helpers, or if you will need to hire a licensed moving company. To decide, take into account your lifestyle, household size, budget, and your time frame. If a moving company is what you decide, make sure to get at least 3 different quotes so you are sure to be getting the best deal.
- Plan to unpack BEFORE you pack. It is important to take photos of each room in your new house so you can get an idea of where you want your furniture, appliances, and decorations to go. This way, you can pack these items together. On moving day, list the major items that need to be assembled first so that you can begin enjoying your home sooner.
- Pack strategically. In the moving whirlwind, it’s easy to simply throw things in boxes and figure it out later. But trust us, if you take the time to go through years of accumulated belongings ahead of time, it will make for a much cleaner, clutter-free home. Keep in mind these options when choosing what to hang on to; donate to charity, give to a friend, recycle or trash.
- Schedule for your children. Moving with small children can add to the stress of moving day. Much more can be done if you don’t have to tend to and keep an eye on the young ones. Consider daycare or a babysitter so they aren’t underfoot.
- Consider your animals. Sometimes pet-owners forget the stress that can be put on animals, not to mention the constant in-and-out of visitors. It is smart to arrange for a pet-sitter or a daycare facility to keep your animals happy and healthy.
- Keep track of the small stuff. Oftentimes furniture and other objects need to be broken down to make transportation easier. Make sure to put small screws, nails, washers, etc., into small labeled baggies, instead of taping them to the furniture. This way you can personally carry these easy-to-lose items on moving day.
- Take pictures of your electronics. This tip will help keep your sanity later when trying to remember which plug gets connected where. This will prevent headaches when setting up technology in your new home.
- Consider getting full value insurance protection. If you are using a professional mover, this may cost a few more dollars, but it is worth it. Investing in full value protection means that any lost or damaged items will be repaired, replaced, or paid for at current market value. Accidents happen.
- Unpack one room at a time according to basic needs. It is a good idea to start with the kitchen and at least one bathroom. While packing, mark boxes “Basic Needs” for these rooms so it’s easy to find the initial items you’ll want handy on those first few days of being in your new home.
- Know your rights. If using a professional moving company, research your rights as a consumer. You may also enlist the help of The Better Business Bureau (BBB) if the moving company fails to live up to its promises. Do research before you decide on which company to hire. Read reviews and ask friends and family for suggestions and who to avoid.
At HoganWillig, we do our part in making sure your move goes as smoothly as possible. These 10 tips, along with the help of our large real estate team, will make sure you are happily in your new house in no time! Call us today at 716-636-7600.