Diane R. Tiveron has practiced corporate and business law since admission to the New York State Bar in 1990. She received her J.D., cum laude, from the State University of New York at Buffalo Law School and her B.A. in economics and political science from Canisius College, magna cum laude. In continuing her education, she has recently completed her Mini-M.B.A. Certificate through Canisius College.
Ms. Tiveron has been with the firm for over thirty years. In addition to managing the firm, Ms. Tiveron also is the head of HoganWillig’s Corporate & Business Law Department. She assists clients with business formations (sole proprietorship, partnership, corporations, and limited liability companies), acquisitions, sales, or dissolutions, as well as the preparation of any commercial document/contract, ranging from an employment agreement to a lease. In addition, she counsels non-for-profit organizations on nonprofit law and governance, obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status, and 501(c) classifications. She provides practical strategies attuned to the unique needs of each client. She also frequently advises clients in Landlord/Tenant matters and has presented many seminars in this area of law.
Ms. Tiveron also counsels individuals with bankruptcy issues (Chapter 7 and Chapter 13) and assists many creditors with protecting their rights in bankruptcy. In addition, she can assist creditors with their general collection needs and provide troubled businesses advice and counsel. Additionally, she oversees the representation of an automobile lender statewide.
In partnership with our Litigation Department, Ms. Tiveron engages in civil litigation in all courts in Western New York concerning commercial issues such as breach of contract, fraud, collections, foreclosure, and business disputes. In addition, she coordinates the firm’s per diem assistance to law firms and attorneys outside the area.
Ms. Tiveron has been voted an Upstate New York “Super Lawyer” in the area of Business/Corporate Law and Business Litigation every year since 2007. She has also been selected as one of Western New York’s Legal Elite Leaders in Business law 2014-2019 and is listed as “Top Attorney, Business” per her 10.0/10.0 rating on AVVO.
She has served as President of the Board of Directors for Amherst Meals on Wheels and the Board of Trustees Member of Cardinal O’Hara High School; as Past Vice President and Board Member for Southeast Works (local not-for-profit serving individuals with a developmental disability.) Currently, she serves as Treasurer for GiGi’s Playhouse Down Syndrome Achievement Centers and volunteers for the Western New York Food Shuttle.
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, Upstate New York Edition, 2007-2022 – Corporate Law
- Power 200 Women, Business First of Buffalo, 2022
- Top Rated Woman Leader in Law, Martindale-Hubbell, 2022
- Who’s Who Among Executive Women, Business First of Buffalo, 2002
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Compliance Law, 2022
- Legal Elite of Western New York 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 – Legal Leader
- New York State, 1990
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Court Appeals, Second Circuit
- Bankruptcy Court, Western, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- Peacemakers Court, Seneca Nation of Indians
- J.D., 1989, State University at Buffalo School of Law, cum laude
- Law Review Note and Comment Editor
- B.A. in Economics/Political Science, 1986, Canisius College, magna cum laude
- Mini-M.B.A., Canisius College
Professional & Community Activities
- Bar Association of Erie County, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York, Western New York Chapter, Member
- Southeast Works, Inc., Past Vice President and Member, Board of Directors
- Amherst Meals on Wheels, Past President, Board of Directors
- Cardinal O’Hara High School, Past Member, Board of Trustees
- Food Shuttle of Western New York, Volunteer
- UB Law Alumni Board, Member
- GiGi’s Playhouse Down Syndrome Achievement Centers, Treasurer
- HoganWillig PLLC Attorneys Receive Super Lawyers® Recognition
- HoganWillig Attorneys are recognized in The 2023 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®
- Covid lawsuits put Buffalo law firm HoganWillig in the spotlight as it grows
- Getting back to business has created new sets of questions for attorneys
- Bankruptcy attorneys: Times are tough for small businesses, but options exist
- Letter to Clients: Remote Meetings Available
- “Starting your own Business” Presentation
- Contract Negotiations Presentation for Physician Assistants
- Congrats to our 2019 Legal Elite of Western NY!
- 2019 Upstate NY Super Lawyers Announcement
- First Time Home Buyers Seminar
- Future Forward Event for Lockport High School
- “Starting your own Business”
- Child Victims Act extends statute, puts onus on institutions
- Western New York Abuse Survivors Find Hope As Governor Cuomo Signs Child Victims Act
- Summary of the New York Child Victims Act (S.2440/A.2683)
- Western New York Abuse Survivors Thankful for Child Victims Act
- Last Chance for Buffalo Home Owners in Danger of Losing Home to Make Deal with City
- Congrats to our 2018 Legal Elite of Western NY!
- Congrats to our 2018 Super Lawyers!
- Elder Law Day
- New York Homeowners are Encouraged to Prepay their Property Taxes before the Income-Tax Overhaul
- Congrats to our 2017 Super Lawyers!
- Podcast: What to Do After an Auto Accident
- Podcast: What Happens to Debt When You Pass Away
- Podcast: Elder Abuse
- Landlord-Tenant Law Seminar
- HoganWillig in the News
- Check Out Diane Tiveron’s Guest Column in Business First
- Podcast: Terri Schiavo and Living Wills
- Ellicottville Open House
- Check Out Our New Podcast
- Now You Have a Judgment, What Do You Do?
- Congrats to the 2015 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Commercial Lease Basics
- Employee or Independent Contractor
- Which Choice of Business Entity is Best For You?
- Tips to Avoid Identity Theft
- Practical Advice for Landlord/Tenant Issues – Part 3
- Practical Advice for Landlord/Tenant Issues – Part 2
- Practical Advice For Landlord/Tenant Issues
- 2011 SuperLawyers Announced
- Debt Collectors’ Hidden Agenda
- 2009 New York Super Lawyers Upstate Edition
- Avoiding Fraud