Earth Day 2015: Making the Change
Over the years, HoganWillig has made it a priority to “go green”. Environmental stewardship is an important aspect of our philosophy and commitment to excellence in our community. As a firm, we encourage our attorneys and staff to be actively involved in promoting sustainability. We have devised and implemented programs to conserve resources, to reduce our carbon footprint, protect the environment and promote the benefits of sustainability to our people and the greater business community.
In February of 2010, we relocated our main office to 2410 North Forest Road in Amherst, New York where we serve as the anchor tenant in this state-of-the-art, green-certified building. While the amount of space we are occupying increases as we grow in number, our building allows us to reduce our carbon footprint through many environmentally-friendly and productivity-enhancing features. The building features energy efficient lighting, heating, and other systems. Our offices promote energy efficiency through motion-sensitive light switches and energy star-compliant office lights and appliances.
HoganWillig has also instituted a paperless practice. We encourage clients to use telephone and email as the primary sources of communication in their matters in order to reduce the amount of paper used. To make this possible, our firm has implemented software programs to reduce paper consumption for internal and external communications, documents, and case management. HoganWillig has also instituted effective recycling practices and significantly reduced our paper consumption. We continually seek to minimize the volume of paper used in printing, copying, data storage, and communication.
A Native American proverb states, “We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children”. At HoganWillig, we strive each day to do our part in making the Earth a better place for the future. Here are some easy tips to help you reduce your carbon footprint and make the Earth a little greener!
- Invest in a glass water bottle in order to cut down on the waste caused by plastic bottles and paper cups.
- Turn the water off while brushing your teeth. Don’t let it run unnecessarily!
- Ride a bike, use public transportation, or carpool when able: Fewer cars on the roads means less pollution in our air!
- Recycle old electronics: Broken computers can be brought to local electronic recycling centers and repurposed into new machines.
- Keep reusable shopping bags in your car: You’ll be more likely to remember to bring them shopping with you.