Post Winter Home Tips
Winter and real estate don’t exactly go hand in hand. Most Western New Yorkers, especially homeowners, know firsthand how hard winter can be on a home. Ice, snow, wind, and freezing temperatures can wreak havoc on your property.
Without taking the proper steps to protect your house from the effects of winter, you could be left facing unpleasant and possibly expensive home damages-damages, which may not be covered by your homeowner insurance policy.
As winter (finally) begins to fade away and the snow starts to melt, it’s vital to keep flood prevention top of mind. Melting snow can cause major water damage.
Tips to prevent spring thaw flooding and damage
- Clear the snow around the perimeter of your home’s foundation, especially any snow that has piled around your basement windows.
- Remove obstructions that will prevent melting snow from draining safely away from your house.
- Install a sewer backwater valve to minimize the chance of water entering the house through your basement floor drain.
- Clear debris from your gutters and downspouts.
- Just to play on the safe side, move valuable items kept in your basement to a higher floor during major thaws.
We can’t always win against Mother Nature but these few suggestions can help mitigate damages.
At HoganWillig, we are well known for the quality of our legal services. Contact us at 716-636-7600 with any questions you may have.