Sure, I'm buying or selling a home, but why partner with an Attorney?
Attorneys are involved in New York State real estate transactions, rather than title companies (which are acceptable for closings in some other states.) Closing attorneys will protect you in tackling any contractual dispute or legal issues that come to light during the closing process.
Specifically, your attorney is responsible for:
• Drafting legal contracts with any needed contingencies
• Assuring that the title is clear of liens or judgments
• Backing-up your agent if negotiations are needed following home inspection
• Closely examining escrow documents for any issues
• Preparing & reviewing all home sale fees and their calculations
• Recording deed and mortgage with county clerk’s office
Nine easy steps to buying a home:
1. Consult with a HoganWillig Real Estate Professional
We’ll advise you on options for agents, mortgages, home inspectors, title insurance and more.
2. Connect with Real Estate Agent
Discuss the type of home you’re looking for, including style, price and location
3. Get pre-approved
You’ll need Pay Stubs, W2s & Bank statements to determine what you can afford
4. Search for properties
The fun part! Rely on your Real Estate professional to allow you access to every available home on the market
5. Offer made and accepted
Negotiation may be needed, initial terms set
6. Buyer arranges home inspection
Any potential problems will be noted in contract contingents
7. Contract Created by Attorney
Terms agreed upon, closing date targeted, down-payment held in Escrow
8. Title Report Ordered by Buyer's Attorney
Search and Survey completed after attorney review, title insurance suggested
We’ll provide guidance through the entire process
Buying and Selling
Our Sales and Purchases Group works closely with an array of real estate professionals to assist home buyers and sellers with financing, inspection, title and insurance needs. We provide our clients with comprehensive advice to guide them through the entire closing process for a single flat fee, disclosed at the outset of our representation.
We’re proud to have our own in-house Title Insurance Department—unlike many other firms which outsource this responsibility. This means that your policy is processed quickly, efficiently and economically.
Our dedicated Mortgage Loan Department assists most lenders and Federal Credit Unions. In representing both purchasers and lenders, we are able to stream-line the process enabling a more time efficient closing. This also saves purchasers a trip to the County Clerk’s Office as they can instead choose one of our five convenient office locations to sign their closing documents.