Steven Wiseman, formerly of Siegel, Kelleher & Kahn, LLP, has focused primarily on Matrimonial & Family Law for the past 25 years. Mr. Wiseman has served as Chairperson of the Matrimonial and Family Law Committee of Erie County Bar Association. Mr. Wiseman is experienced in handling cases ranging from middle-income individuals to high-wealth individuals. His cases often involve complex legal issues such as business valuations and division of retirement assets involving pensions and 401(k) plans.
He is frequently invited by the New York State Bar Association and Erie Institute of Law to lecture on marital and family law topics at continuing legal education seminars and programs across New York. Mr. Wiseman has had the honor of addressing Supreme and Family Court judges. He has significant appellate practice experience, not only in matrimonial and family law matters but also in other legal areas. He was the author of a brief submitted to the Court of Appeals, New York State’s highest court, in People v. Kendzia, involving the right of a criminal defendant to a speedy trial, which has since been regularly cited by courts throughout the state, leading to what is commonly known in state criminal procedure as the “Kendzia letter.”
Mr. Wiseman has earned the distinguished peer rating for ethical standards and professional ability based upon legal knowledge and experience in his specific area of practice, analytical abilities, judgment, and communication abilities by the nation’s leading directory of attorneys, Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Wiseman has been active in community organizations, having served as an officer and director of Temples Beth Israel and Beth Zedek and a director of Deaf Adult Services of Western New York, Inc.
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, Upstate New York Edition, 2008 – 2022 – Family Law
- New York State, 1977
- J.D., 1976, Georgetown University
- B.A., 1973, State University of New York at Binghamton
Professional & Community Activities
- NYS Bar Association, Member
- Bar Association of Erie County, Member
- HoganWillig PLLC Attorneys Receive Super Lawyers® Recognition
- Have divorces risen during the pandemic? Local attorneys say it’s a mixed bag.
- 2019 Upstate NY Super Lawyers Announcement
- Congrats to our 2018 Super Lawyers!
- Family Law and Mediation Open House
- Podcast: Holiday Visitation
- Do We Have To Live Together While We Are Getting Divorced?
- Retirement Plan Division in Divorce
- Divorce and your House
- What You Need to Know About Divorce Before You Get Married